The Blohm und Voss 138 Flying Boat, out of Norway, were ocean going reconnaissance planes used for spotting enemy supply convoys carrying supplies, troops and equipment.
It was known by their crews as “Der Fliegende Holzschuh” The Flying Clog. They would call into bases on the coast to direct JU-88’s to bomb and strafe the supply ships. All three engines on the B&V 138 were diesel and the aircraft could land in the North Atlantic and
re-fuel from German U-Boats.
In this dramatic painting by Roy Grinnell depicts BV138C-1 of 2/KU. FL. Gr (Kusten-Fliegeruppe) 406 in North Norway, 1942.